Brave Travelers

The last time I wrote a blog I was a very different woman.
In fact, I would call myself a girl. I hadn't felt the sting of losing a job or the complete devastation of watching the woman who knew me best die. I hadn't been swallowed up by a grief so thick it would choke me and take my breath away only to lose my grandfather next. I hadn't become a mother yet or grappled with the struggle to find my way balancing the roles of being a mother, wife, and professional.
The past four years have been a whirlwind. I was doing everything in my power to stay a float while the rainy season passed.
We are emerging from it. I am lucky to have a wonderful husband who let me grieve, let me be raw, and supported the mother and woman I am.
Even though this season of life has been tough, it has also been full of lessons that have shaped me into who I am today. It has been a time where I saw lives end and saw lives begin. It has been a time where the frivolous pursuits are stripped away and the important moments are held close.
I am sober with the reality that so many people have a harder struggle and a greater loss than I. I count myself fortunate. However, my story is one that should be told and honored. If I have learned one thing from this season it is that the journey I travel helps me identify and understand the journeys others travel.
So, brave travelers you are not alone.
Your grief is real.
Your struggle is important.
Your voice needs to be heard.

Comments